Each year, all parents, teachers, students in grades 6-12 and select support staff take the NYC School Survey. The survey is aligned to the DOE's Framework for Great Schools. It is designed to collect important information about each school's ability to support student success. School leaders can use feedback from the survey to reflect and improve schools and programs. You can learn more about the NYC School Survey by contacting your school or program.
To participate in the 2020 NYC School Survey, visit NYCSchoolSurvey.org.
Resources for Survey Coordinator
Given the current circumstances, and the focus on remote learning for school communities, we are providing everyone the opportunity to complete the NYC School Survey through June 26, the last day of the school year, in order to ensure as much opportunity as possible for respondents to have their voices heard. Because of the difficult circumstances this year, we encourage schools to administer the survey online, making it as easy as possible for schools to learn from their parents, students, support staff and teachers.
Please keep in mind that the code lookup tool is available for parent/guardians, students, support staff and teachers to retrieve their survey access codes. To use the code lookup tool, go to the online survey login page (accessed by clicking on the corresponding survey under “Take the survey NOW” on NYCSchoolSurvey.org). In addition, parent/ guardians, support staff and teachers can also call the survey hotline at 1-877-819-2363 to retrieve their access codes. To take the survey online visit NYCSchoolSurvey.org.
The response rates file below will continue to be updated every Thursday through the June deadline to keep schools informed about responses; however, we are not asking school staff to take any immediate additional action to drive responses. This year's survey will be used for formative purposes. Results will be shared in a manner that acknowledges the shift to remote learning and encourages the use of the information for improvement purposes and not for evaluation.
To learn more about the NYC School Survey administration in schools, review the following materials:
- 2020 NYC School Survey Response Rates
- 2020 Survey Administration Preferences
- 2020 Survey Materials Delivery Schedule
- 2020 Survey Planning Workshop Deck
- 2020 Survey Posters
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Ethics Reference Guide
- Family Engagement Toolkit
- Guide for Survey Coordinators
- How to Increase Family Engagement with Survey
- Survey Accommodations Guide
- Survey Support Structure
NYC School Survey Instruments
View the 2020 NYC School Survey parent/guardian, student and teacher instruments.
- View the 2020 survey for parents/guardians (PDF)
- View the 2020 survey for students (PDF)
- View the 2020 survey for teachers (Excel)
NYC School Survey Results
The 2019 NYC School Survey results are available as part of the School Quality Guide, which also includes the latest Quality Review Reports and the 2018-19 Framework ratings. This online report format replaces the NYC School Survey PDFs that were used to report survey results in prior years. To get started, select a school from the drop down menu. Search the menu by entering your school's DBN or name.
Understand Your Survey Results
- Review the Framework Scoring 2018-19 Technical Guide for more information about how survey results are calculated. (PDF)
- View the 2019 citywide analysis of survey results. (PDF)
- Download the 2019 parent, student and teacher survey data for all New York City public schools. (Excel)
- Refer to the 2019 NYC School Survey Support Structure to identify whom to contact for further support.
Use Your Survey Results
- Use the Data Protocol: Review and Use Your NYC School Survey Results to discuss the survey results with your teachers and staff. (PDF)
- Share your school's survey results with families by customizing the Informational Presentation Deck or One Pager.
2019 NYC School Survey Instruments
The NYC School Survey is administered annually since 2007. Survey information from 2007 through 2018, including citywide survey results and copies of the surveys, are archived in the Survey Archive page and/or on NYC Open Data.