The following information is for Transportation Vendors.
For information relevant to all vendors, visit General Information for Vendors.
The Contractor's Manual
Contractors are responsible for understanding and carrying out all of the duties and responsibilities set forth in the Standard Operating Procedures for School Bus Contractors Providing Service under Contracts with the NYCDOE (herein expressed as "Contractor's Manual") and in the applicable contract(s). In the event of a conflict between the Contractor’s Manual and the applicable Contract(s), the applicable Contract(s) shall govern.
- Vehicle Specifications
- Driver and Attendant Certification Process & Responsibilities
- Violations, Procedures & Assessment of Liquidated Damages
- Vehicle Inspection Standards, Maintenance & Safety
- Investigations Procedures
- Accidents, Emergencies & Other Delays
- Routing & Scheduling System
- Field Trip Procedures
- Picking of Runs
Standard Operating Procedures
Visit the Standard Operating Procedures Modernization Plan page to learn more about the installation and use of equipment/devices and training for the recording, reporting, or transmitting information regarding the location of vehicles and/or students.
- Driver/Attendant Approval Form
- Information Form Bus Attendant
- Attendant Medical Form
- Information Form Bus Driver
- Student Emergency Contact Form
- School Bus Incident Reporting Procedures
- School Bus Incident Form
- Contractor System Guide
- Section 11 Attachments
- Car Seat Retraining Certificate Template
- Wheelchair Retraining Certificate Template
- Sleeping Children Sign
Tools & Resources
- Information for Bus Companies (Requires login)
- NYC Public Schools Calendar
- Non-Public Schools Calendar
- Vendor Information System (Requires login)
- Vendor Integration (Requires login)
- OPT Contracts (Requires login)
- Accidents (Requires login)
Maps & Routes
- Map Portal (Requires login)
- Summer Map Portal (Requires login)
- Bus Route Status (Requires login)
- Special Education Routing System (Requires login)
- Route Integration System (Requires login)
- MyGeotab User Access Form
Call Recording & Attendance
- OPT Call Recording System (Requires login)
- Pre-K Call Recording System (Requires login)
- Drivers & Attendants System (Requires login)
Driver & Attendant Training Locations
Bus & Car Driver Training School
1332 Commerce Avenue, Suite 18
Bronx, NY 10461
Contact: Robert Verderosa (President)
Mayra's Safety Training
483 Hemlock St.
Brooklyn, NY 11208
Contact: Yomaira Alvarez
K.E.R.F. Safety Training
2704 East Tremont Avenue 2nd Floor
Bronx, NY 10461
Contact: Sandra Lopez
Lella Transportation Safety
944 Havermayer Ave.
Bronx, NY, 10473
Contact: Anne Smith
NY Bus Training Corp. (Training In Transportation)
3051 Nostrand Ave
Brooklyn, NY 11229
Contact: Jo-Ann Tufaro
Wheels on the Bus
1841 Forest Avenue- 2nd Floor
Staten Island, NY 10303
Contact: Arden Daleus
Dymond CDL Auto Club
2174 Nostrand Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11210
Contact: Farra St. Flavin
School Bus Safety City, Inc.
426 East 138th St, 2nd Fl.
Bronx, NY 10454
Contact: Maria Sonaly Caro
NYC Bus Lane Use
Per NYC Traffic Rules, school buses are authorized to use New York City bus lanes when transporting passengers.
- For the definition of a school bus, see section 4-01(b)
- For specific bus lane restrictions, see section 4-12(m)
We share this information so that your drivers have every option to reduce traffic delays and ride duration for NYC Students.
How to Support Bus Lane Use
Remind your drivers that school buses with passengers are allowed to use NYC bus lanes, and make sure they are familiar with the rules and definitions above.
- Verbally communicate to drivers the legal use of NYC bus lanes by vehicles transporting students
- Encourage drivers to use NYC bus lanes to reduce traffic delays and ride duration when possible
- Add the bus lane rules to the training materials you give to new drivers
- Add the bus lane rules to the training refresh materials you give to employed drivers
Working with NYCDOT & NYPD for Success
We engaged the NYPD and NYCDOT to ensure all relevant city agencies share a common understanding about this policy, and to provide school bus vehicle information recorded in our Vehicle System (log-in required) to the NYPD.
Questions About NYC Bus Lane Use
If you have any questions regarding this policy/information you may contact Darren Johnson at OPT.
Guidance to School Bus Vendors on COVID-19 Procedures
Visit the DOE’s Fall 2022 COVID-19 Guidance.
Mask Policy Updates
Beginning March 7, 2022, face coverings will become optional, indoors and outdoors, on NYC public school grounds and on school buses, for all K-12 students and staff with a few exceptions. While wearing a face covering is no longer be required, anyone who chooses to wear a mask may continue to do so.
NYC Vaccine Mandate
NYC has discontinued the Key to NYC vaccination requirement.
Cleaning & Disinfection
Effective September 1, 2022, the nightly disinfecting of school buses is no longer required.
Per pre-pandemic requirements, the interior of each vehicle must be cleaned and either swept or vacuumed thoroughly after each route AM/PM run and/or at least once each day. The Contractor shall be responsible for cleaning and disinfecting seats and all safety equipment and accessories as often as necessary for sanitary reasons and to maintain the comfort of passengers. Additionally, the exterior of each vehicle must be washed at least weekly and must be maintained in as clean a condition as possible, weather and other conditions permitting.
School Bus Safety Procedures
Buses will take the following steps:
- Where practicable and weather permitting, windows will remain open and with the air system on the bus in the non-recirculating mode during transit.
- Face coverings (masks) are no longer required on school buses.
- Physical distancing is not required on school buses.