The following types of requests either do not fall under the category of employment verification or should be fulfilled by an entity other than the DOE. Please submit these requests according to the instructions below:
- For example: membership dates, contributions, buy back information, tier status
- Contact your retirement system
Verification of service performed at an agency other than the NYC Department of Education:
- Forward your request to the appropriate NYC agency
Verification of service performed at a day care center, child care program, an “At Home” program, or as a Community Liaison
- If the position was funded by the DOE (i.e., employee worked for the DOE as a contractor) as part of a State or Federal program:
- Proof of employment will be contained on the Form 1099-MISC issued to you at the end of the tax year in which you worked. The DOE cannot provide any more information for these types of positions.
- If the position was not funded by the DOE, submit your request in writing to:
- Human Resources Administration
180 Water Street, 17th Floor
New York, NY 10038
- Human Resources Administration
Verification of service performed at the City University of New York (CUNY)
- Contact CUNY’s Human Resources Department: (212) 794-5336
Verification of service performed as a School Safety Agent after December 20, 1998 (Service performed before this date is verified by DOE)
- Contact the NYPD Division of School Safety.
Verification of service as a School Crossing Guard
- Contact the NYPD Employee Relations Section.
Explanation of discrepancy between Social Security Administration FICA withholdings and pension contribution statement for any/all years between January 1, 1986 through June 30, 1991
- Contact in writing:
Office of Payroll Administration
FICA Refund Claim Unit, Room 200N
One Centre Street
New York, NY 10007
- More information is available on the OPA Web site.
Past W-2 forms
Information contained on W-2 forms issued in the past
- For information contained on W-2 statements issued from 1964 through 1969, and 1972 through 1990, submit an online request for Verification of Data Contained on Archived W-2 Register(s).
- To obtain information contained on W-2 statements issued in 1963 or prior, or in 1970 or 1971, use form SSA-7050 (Request for Social Security Earnings Information), available on the Social Security Administration Web site.
- To obtain information contained on W-2 statements issued from 1991 to the present, follow the instructions posted on the Office of Payroll Administration website.
- To obtain a duplicate W-2 statement for any of the four most recent tax years, visit the DOE's Payroll Portal.
- Once on the site, find the "Documents" section on the right-hand side of the page and locate the W-2 Duplicate Request and Information Correction Form. Complete and submit the form as instructed.
- Contact the NYC Office of Payroll Administration (OPA).
- Contact the DOE Workers’ Compensation Unit: (718) 935-2213
Employment Verification for Federal Student Loan Forgiveness Programs
As a current or prospective employee of the City of New York, you may be eligible for federal loan forgiveness programs and state repayment assistance programs. Please review this Important Notice for Employees with Student Loan Debt, to see if you may be eligible for programs, and visit nyc.gov/studentloans for information on how to apply to each respective program.
There are three major Loan Forgiveness Programs sponsored by the US Department Education Department (Federal Government):
- Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF)
- Perkins Loan Cancellation Program
To apply to any of the Federal Loan Forgiveness Programs, you will need to do so directly via the Federal Student Aid Office of the US Department of Education. The NYCDOE’s only involvement with Federal Loan Forgiveness programs is to provide the appropriate employment verification on behalf of the applicant.
To have the NYCDOE verify your employment for a Loan Forgiveness Program application, follow these steps:
- Complete the appropriate form provided by the Loan Forgiveness Program that you are interested in applying to.
- Submit the completed form along with proof of outstanding loans via email, fax, or by mail to:
65 Court Street
Brooklyn, NY 11201
Fax: (718) 935-3555
Verification requests will be completed within 10 business days from receipt of the application.
Important: Applications will be returned to applicants via their mailing address on file. Applications will not be mailed to the loan holder, which is the responsibility of the applicant. Applicants are responsible for submitting the application and supporting documents in a timely fashion. There is no “rush service” and applications will be completed in the order in which they are received.