On January 17, 2019 the New York State Education Department (NYSED) announced new School Accountability Designations. Under the new designations, twelve (12) Comprehensive Support and Improvement (CSI) schools will be placed under Chancellor’s Receivership. Nine (9) schools are newly identified and three (3) schools that will remain under receivership as required by New York State Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) plan. Each school must make annual demonstrable improvement on specific benchmarks or it will be placed under an independent receiver. For specific questions about School Receivership, please contact us at email@example.com.
School Receivership Public Hearings
In accordance with New York State Education Law §211-f, and New York State Commissioner’s Regulation §100.19, the New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE) is required to hold public hearings for identified receivership schools. The purpose of these hearings is to explain the process of receivership, discuss the performance of the school, and solicit input from the public regarding recommendations for improving the school.
Each hearing will take place at the school and will be scheduled for three hours in the evening from 6-9 p.m. The full schedule of public hearing dates and locations are listed below and can also be found in the DOE calendar.
Fall 2019 Schedule of Receivership Hearings
- Thursday, September 19, 2019
- 08X530: Longwood Preparatory Academy,
965 Longwood Avenue, Bronx, NY 10459
- 09X350: New Directions Secondary School,
240 East 172 Street, Bronx, NY 10457
- 27Q260: Frederick Douglas Academy VI High School,
8-21 Bay 25 Street, Queens, NY 11691
- Monday, September 23, 2019
- 12X550: High School of World Cultures,
1300 Boynton Avenue, Bronx, NY 10472
- 23K327: P.S. 327 Dr. Rose B. English,
111 Bristol Street, Brooklyn, NY 11212
- Tuesday, September 24, 2019
- 08X452: Gotham Collaborative High School,
1980 Lafayette Avenue, Bronx, NY 10473
- 12X480: Bronx Regional High School,
1010 Rev. J. A. Polite Avenue, Bronx, NY 10459
- 23K150 P.S. 150 Christopher 364 Sackman Street, Brooklyn, NY 11212
- Wednesday, September 25, 2019
- 08X405: Herbert H. Lehman High School,
3000 East Tremont Avenue, Bronx, NY 10461
- 13K616: Brooklyn High School for Leadership and Community Service, 300 Willoughby Avenue, Brooklyn, NY 11205
- Thursday, September 26, 2019
- 05M194: P.S. 194 Countee Cullen,
244 West 144 Street, Manhattan, NY 10030
- 10X085: P.S. 085 Great Expectations, 2400 Marion Avenue, Bronx, NY 10458
- 05M194: P.S. 194 Countee Cullen,
Procedures for Public Hearings
Speaker comment at the hearings is welcomed; speakers must register between 5:30 and 6:15 p.m. on the date of the hearings at the hearing location.
Written comments can be submitted via the Receivership Public Feedback Form, in the following ways:
1. Completed forms will be collected after each hearing.
2. Forms can be completed online (translated into ten DOE languages) on or before 5:00 p.m. on the second business day after each school’s hearing.
3. Completed form can be mailed to: NYC Department of Education, Office of the First Deputy Chancellor, 52 Chambers Street, Room 213, New York, NY 10007
For questions regarding receivership or the schedule of public hearings, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
School Receivership Quarterly Reports
Superintendents, School Leadership Teams (SLTs), Community Engagement Teams (CETs), and the Central Office team are regularly monitoring the progress of schools in receivership toward meeting school improvement goals. Additionally, NYCDOE participates in progress monitoring of these schools with the NYSED. This process consists of quarterly reports, performance review telephone calls, and on-site monitoring. The quarterly reports can be found below:
- Bronx Regional High School (12X480)
- Gotham Collaborative High School (08X452)
- Herbert H. Lehman High School (08X405)
- Longwood Preparatory Academy [Formerly Banana Kelly High School](08X530)
- High School of World Cultures (12X550)
- New Directions Secondary School (09X350)
- P.S. 085 Great Expectations (10X085)
- Brooklyn High School for Leadership and Community Service (13K616)
- P.S. 150 Christopher (23K150)
- P.S. 327 Dr. Rose B. English (23K327)