What We Offer
The Genovesi Environmental Study Center (GESC) offers rich and engaging environmental science programs for students at all grade levels. This 7,000 square foot learning center, sitting on over an acre of beautiful grounds, is home to:
- over 200 living organisms
- four dynamic learning labs
- a fully equipped biotechnology lab
- an outdoor learning space with pond habitat and urban garden, and
- a greenhouse laboratory
At GESC, students get hands-on environmental science and STEM instruction. The highly trained staff help students explore the urban habitats around them and become stewards for the environment. Our programs are age- and grade-appropriate and aligned to the NYC Science Scope and Sequence and the NYS P-12 Science Learning Standards.
- Register for a fall or spring class program, or a winter class program.
- Apply for a hydroponics partnership program.
Plan Your Visit
Things to Know
- When you register for a class program, a member of the GESC team will contact you to set up a pre-visit planning discussion or meeting to help you align the GESC program with your curriculum through readings and pre/post visit activities.
- GESC is an experimental, hands-on learning center and our programs can be differentiated for most special needs populations. Our facility is wheelchair accessible. It should be noted that some of our animals make loud sounds. Please call us at 718-444-6560 so we can discuss your program needs.
- Teachers are welcome and encouraged to visit GESC before class programs. Please contact us at GESC@schools.nyc.gov or 718-444-6560 to schedule a time to tour the center and meet with the GESC team.
- The average class program time is two and a half hours long. Longer program lengths will be noted on the registration page.
- Classes are held rain or shine. Dress appropriately – boots, hats, gloves, warm coats on cold/wet days and brimmed hats/sunscreen on sunny days.
- GESC requests that teachers do not combine classes. This will allow all students to get the most out of their time at GESC.
- Discipline is always the responsibility of the class teacher. Please have one adult chaperone (18 years or older) for every 10 students.
- Classes may bring lunch and eat in the picnic area outside (weather permitting). We would strongly encourage school groups to be conscience of their lunch decisions and bring simple (plastic free) lunches that can be enjoyed quickly.
- If your bus is running late, please call us at 718-444-6560 so we can plan accordingly.
- Collecting plants and animals from our facility is not permitted
Pricing for Class Trips
- $50 per Special Education Self-Contained class of NYC DOE and NYC charter schools
- NYC DOE and NYC charter schools - $75.00 per class
- Private and parochial schools and schools outside NYC limits - $250.00 per class
- $300 per class for a six-week hydroponic or aquaponics partnership
- Full payment by through FAMIS Internal Services vendor # GEN000MM1, school check, or money order is due four weeks prior to the scheduled program visit.
- Cancelation Policy - Your notice of cancellation is required two weeks prior to your scheduled visit for a refund or to reschedule for an alternate date.
Special Needs Classes
GESC is an experiential, hands-on learning center and our programs can be differentiated for most special needs populations. Our facility is wheelchair accessible. It should be noted that some of our animals make loud sounds. Please call us at 718-444-6560 so we can discuss your program needs.
Learn about GESC's mission and directions.