The Quality Review (QR) is a process that evaluates how well schools are organized to support student learning and teacher practice. It was developed to assist New York City Department of Education schools in raising student achievement by looking behind a school’s performance statistics to ensure that the school is engaged in effective methods of accelerating student learning.
The QR Rubric is used to evaluate how well schools are organized to support student achievement. It was originally released in 2009-2010 and has been revised and enhanced based on research and stakeholder input to most accurately capture the expectations of schoolwide practices and their impact on teaching and learning. The rubric drives school improvement by helping school communities create a common language, reflect, self-assess, and plan. The rubric is comprised of 10 Quality Indicators and 30 sub-indicators. The 10 Quality Indicators fall within three categories: the Instructional Core (1.1 Curriculum, 1.2 Pedagogy, 2.2 Assessment), School Culture (1.4 Positive Learning Environment, 3.4 High Expectations), and Systems for Improvement (1.3 Leveraging Resources, 3.1 Goals and Action Plans, 4.1 Teacher Support and Supervision, 4.2 Teacher Teams and Leadership Development, 5.1 Monitoring and Revising Systems).
Quality Review resources to support school improvement can be found below.
- Quality Review Rubric
- The 2021-2022 DRAFT Quality Review Rubric has been enhanced with input from a variety of stakeholders, and more input is welcomed to inform the 2022-2023 Quality Review Rubric (see below).
- Feedback Form on the Draft QR Rubric
- Please share your feedback on the draft rubric to help strengthen it for SY22-23.
- Quality Review Big Ideas
- This document captures the essential components for each indicator and sub-indicator of the 2021-2022 Quality Review Rubric.
- Find a School’s Most Recent Quality Review Report
- Use this search tool to find a school's most recent Quality Review Report. Reports are also available on each school's website. Access a school’s website by using the “Find a School” search page.
- All Quality Review Ratings from 2005-2020
- This spreadsheet lists Quality Review ratings from 2005 to the most recent completed school year.